Moreton Bay Bug Tacos
- 6 x La Banderita flour Street Tacos
- 6 Moreton Bay bugs, raw meat removed from shells
- Zest and juice of 1 lime plus extra to serve
- 1/4 of an iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 sprigs of coriander, finely chopped
- 4 small red chillies, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 x 3cm pieces of ginger chopped
- 2 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbs. caster sugar
- 1/2 tbs. white vinegar
- 80ml olive oil plus a little extra
- Salt and pepper
To make the sauce, place all of the ingredients into a small pot over a low heat and gently cook for 15-20 minutes, ensuring it does not boil. Cool to room temperature then pour into a small food processor or blender and blend until smooth. This can be made up to week in advance and stored in an airtight container.
Drizzle a little oil over bug meat and with salt and pepper. Grill on each side for 1-2 minutes until just cooked through. Remove from the sprinkle over the zest of the lime.
Warm the street tacos in a dry pan over a medium heat for one minute on each side until soft. Keep warm in a clean tea towel.
To serve, portion lettuce between each taco then place bug meat on top. Squeeze over lime juice and then drizzle over chilli sauce. Garnish with coriander.