Pink Pepper Calamari Tacos
- 12 x La Banderita flour Street Tacos
- 4 small whole calamari (about 500g), cleaned
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 1 tsp. pink peppercorn
- 1/2 a punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbs. crispy fried shallots
- 1 tbs. pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small bunch of mint, leaves picked plus extra to garnish
- 2 tbs. jalapeno in brine plus 1 tsp. of the brine
- Juice and zest 1 lime
- 1/2 tbs. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Separate the tentacles and cut in half. Cut through one side of the squid. Flatten out and score the surface diagonally. Cut into 5cm pieces. Place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil, salt, all spice and crushed pink peppercorns.
In a mortar and pestle crush pepitas into a fine crumb. Add the garlic and a good pinch of salt and bruise. Add mint, jalapenos, lime and sugar and pound until a paste forms, then add a 1/4 cup of olive oil and combine until smooth. Alternatively pulse all ingredients in a small food processor to form the salsa.
Warm tacos in a pan over a medium heat for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm in a clean tea towel.
Heat a bbq or grill pan and cook the calamari for 1-2 minutes until charred and just cooked through.
Serve calamari in the warm tacos, with tomato, green salsa and crispy shallots.